Wednesday 9 October 2013

I am a Star




I rub my eyes as a feeble ray of darkness fell upon me. Dusk is closing in. It  is time to wake up and soon I will have to start twinkling for the whole night. As usual people are going home from offices and children are playing in parks.

I search for that particular boy on the roof of his house. Since a week I have been watching him come to the roof every evening. He sits there for a long while. Often he sighs and looks at the sky as if to search for some strength in the vastness. And I always wait for those moments when he would look up so that I can see his face. Its pretty boring to look at heads full of hair all the time. I want to see faces...different features...different emotions on them. Seldom does that happen.

Although this boy's face makes me feel sad for him. His eyes narrate a miserable tale, an unspoken wish. He is young, in his twenties, and is in a way handsome. So far I have never seen him smile and everyday I wish that I would, for he must be having a beautiful smile. Everyday the desire to see him happy grows in me. But everyday he looks a little more tired of something, maybe tired of himself for wanting a wish to come true. Whatever it is, I know he deserves what he wants. But I also know that people there on surface do not always get what they deserve. There is injustice and suffering imposed on innocent people.

He looks up. I gather my attention and as soon as I look at his face my heart breaks a little. His lips are trembling and he is blinking furiously to shove back the tears. Despite his efforts a diamond escapes from the corner of his eye.

No don't, you are a strong boy! I want to say.

He is looking at me, filled with disappointment....
"Please....." A whisper escapes his mouth.

Suddenly I know what is to be done. I crash open my heart and with this I start falling down. All my light escaping fast.

For the last time I look at the boy and to my amazement, see magic on that same face. His eyes closed, hands clasped in wonder, lips making a silent wish, which now no force can stop from coming true. And then came the smile....more beautiful than what I had imagined....brighter than a thousand starts put together.

"Thanks bro, for making my wish come true. Keep smiling." Is all I manage before dissolving in the night sky.

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-44439233-2