Sunday 15 December 2013

Forgetting Birthdays


Image source: google


Forgetting birthdays can be an interesting adventure. More interesting when it's an important person whose birthday slipped your mind, like your very own personal sister. And most interesting when it's the birthday of one and only you yourself. Yes, I have been through that historic day years ago.

If you forget to wish me, I may pretend to be sad because such is the ritual, but personally I will appreciate you for the initiative on your part. I am more than ready to return the favour to anyone, effortlessly. Sadly enough, the general tendency is entirely opposite to this. Waiting till midnight to wish your friends is now an unquestionable trend. Not that I am against it. I myself do it whenever I luckily remember the important dates. Neither I have anything against those selfless people who take the pains to remember things for someone else's happiness. Kudos to them!
But somewhere in the chaos are some underdeveloped brains with the smallest memory, who don't understand and feel lost all the time. The concept of midnight wishes seems to be a dreaded nightmare to them unless they are at the receiving end of wishes. The constant fear of having missed wishing someone haunts them. Okay, I went too far with that.

Coming to the point, my sister is a gift of God. My sister is the best person in the world. My sister is most beautiful. My sister was born on the most important day, fabulous month, amazing season and the prettiest year! I hope that would be enough to compensate for committing the blunder of forgetting that she was indeed born. For months I kept asking her what she wants for a gift. I think I did not promise anything, which means God is not going to punish me if today I stand in front of her, empty handed with a sheepish grin on my face.

What has happened has happened. To mend things up I tried to get some sort of a surprise gift for her. But it was too late to go somewhere as it must have taken 5-6 hours to go, search, shop and come back home, given the remote place I live in. So I searched some limited shops nearby but could not decide on anything and ended up calling her to know if she wants a watch as a surprise gift.

"No."
"But you have recently lost yours."
"Yeah but no."
"Okay then paint brushes? Though they don't look impressive to me."
"Then don't buy them."
"Then what?"
"Nothing."

Call it good or bad, my family is made up of least demanding people put together. Also least enthusiastic about birthdays, anniversaries etc. I don't know how strange it may sound but at my home cutting a cake is not mandatory to celebrate a birthday. Actually celebrating itself is not mandatory.

So I came back home with ice-creams, the only thing she always wants.(Psst! I have ordered a cake too which will be delivered by the evening.)

"Okay, so what is to be written on the cake?" The girl taking the order asked me.
"Happy Birthday Mikki."
"M.I.C.K.E.Y Mickey?"
I heard her giggling.
"No. M.I.K.K.I Mikki."
"Alright, you will get the cake by 8 pm."

PS: I am heartily thankful to my Didi who called today and I happened to listen her wishing Mikki. Otherwise I am very much sure I would have never known.

4 comments:

  1. i love the excuses made by dear ones when the forget the dates :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to admit shamelessly that I forgot :P

      Delete
  2. haha! Good one! :D I feel awkward when someone sweet enough calls me up to wish and I'm like, "thank you! umm........................what else?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...!! Happens all the time.
      Thanks. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-44439233-2